I’ve tried and tested a fair few Porridge recipes for ‘Porridge-to-go’ in my thermos. I’ve found some work really well and others…. well don’t mention slippery banana pieces! So what are my top tips?
- The topping needs to mix into the porridge really well. So a fruit puree is great but chunks of banana tend to slip off the spoon if you go over a bump on the tracks and land on your neighbours lap – like I say, don’t ask.
- You want something that’s isn’t messy or gooey it’s not great having sticky hands on public transport.
- If you like a milky Porridge cook it into the oats rather than adding it to the cooked Porridge. Again sloppy milk Porridge = a right old mess.
So after the warnings what are my top recipes for Porridge-to-go?
1) Hot Choc Porridge – Add a little cacao/choc powder into the cooking Porridge with a little milk.
2) Apple puree and Cinnamon – A thin, non-lumpy puree stirred into the Porridge with a sprinkle of cinnamon works a treat.
3) Swirled in Jam – Don’t be put off from Jams thinking that they are unhealthy – just choose one that is high in fruit and low in sugar, or even sugar free.
I hope you will give these recipes a go. With a Porridge thermos you will always have a healthy Porridge to go.