A nice chocolaty but super healthy recipe thanks to the low GI sweetener ‘Sweet Freedom’ and using cacao which is sugar free. This Porridge will keep you going all morning – that’s the Power of Porridge!
Choc & Orange Mousse Porridge
- Serves two
- Cooking time 22 mins
½ Cup medium oatmeal
½ Cup coarse oatmeal
1 ½ cups of water
¼ Teaspoon sea salt
1 Large free range egg
1 Large organic orange*
1 Tablespoon of cacao
1 Tablespoon of dark Sweet Freedom syrup
- Place the oatmeal and water into a bain marie or a heavy based saucepan. Stir thoroughly over a high heat.
- Zest the orange.
- Cut the orange in half and remove the juice and some of the pulp. Place both to one side.
- Stir the salt into the oatmeal thoroughly and keep stirring for 2 mins.
- Then separate the egg.
- Stir the egg yolk into the oatmeal quickly and thoroughly to prevent seeing visible flecks of egg in the porridge.
- Whisk the egg white in a bowl until you get peaks.
- Slowly add in the cacao, whisking continuously.
- Then add the Sweet Freedom making sure it is fully mixed in.
- Set these to one side.
- Take the juice from the orange and slowly pour into the cooking oatmeal, stirring continuously.
- Then add some of the pulp, again stirring in thoroughly.
- Leave the orange to cook in until the oatmeal has an orange hue and has a nice thick, creamy porridge consistency.
- Serve the oatmeal into bowls.
- Spoon the chocolate mousse on top and garnish with orange zest.
- Serve immediately.
*Make sure this is an unwaxed orange, preferably organic. As you are eating the peel of the fruit it is important to know that it has not been treated with pesticides.