Although Autumn has been mild I think Jack Frost is ready and waiting round the corner! I’ve already been out and bought ‘Ice Grippers’ for my shoes and asked Father Christmas for an Icelandic Jumper, so I’m nearly ready for winter. Just one last thing to do….
Create a whole new batch of Porridge recipes!
Over the coming weeks I will be posting Porridge recipes that are perfect for the winter. From quick to cook recipes for work days to sumptuous oatmeal Porridge dishes to enjoy at the weekend. Starting with recipe #1…..
Cranberry Mix Porridge
For this recipe I use a mix of jumbo rolled oat and barley flakes. I like the extra texture barley can give to Porridge and the extra flavour too. However I do find that barley flakes take longer to cook so I give them a little pre-soak in the pan before I start cooking this recipe.
Serves – One, for a hearty winter breakfast.
Cooking & preparation time – 10 mins (inc soaking the barley flakes).
1/2 a mug of jumbo rolled barley flakes
1 mug of milk
1/2 a mug of jumbo rolled oats
1 mug of water
Generous handful of dried and naturally sweetened cranberries
- Put 1/2 a mug of barley flakes into a saucepan,
- Pour 1 mug of milk over the flakes and leave to soak for 5 mins.
- Then add 1/2 a mug of oat flakes,
- Pour in 1 mug of water and stir thoroughly.
- Bring the saucepan to the boil stirring constantly.
- Then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for a further 3-4 mins until you have a nice creamy Porridge consistency.
- Pour into a bowl
- Sprinkle the cranberries over the Porridge and swirl thorough it using a spoon.
Optional extras; a light sprinkle of cinnamon, a little drizzle of concentrated cranberry juice or a touch of bourbon vanilla.
Always serve your Porridge hot to keep you warm on your way to work.