Brr, brr, BRRRR! Has winter finally arrived? If you are feeling the cold here is a recipe to heat up your mornings with…
Hot! Recipe #3 Feisty Ginger Porridge
Ginger is renowned for it’s cure-all properties from calming nausea to decreasing arthritis pains, lowering cholesterol and calming coughs and bronchitis. I use ginger in cooking for it’s heat and feisty flavour and what could be better on a cold morning than hot! Porridge.
Serves – One
Cooking and preparation time – 15 mins
3/4 cup of medium oatmeal
1 1/2 cups cold water
Pinch of sea salt
Chunk of root ginger
Generous spoonful of honey
- Place boiling water into the base saucepan of a Porringer or Bain Marie.
- In the top saucepan place the oatmeal and the cups of cold water and stir thoroughly.
- Bring the water in the base saucepan back to the boil and then reduce the heat slightly, but keeping it high.
- After the oatmeal has been cooking for 5 mins add the salt and stir thoroughly.
- Then take the chunk of root ginger and peel off the skin. I do this by scraping with a teaspoon.
- Grate the ginger finely and then add about 3 teaspoons to the cooking oatmeal or more if you want it really feisty!
- Stir frequently to stop lumps forming in the oatmeal.
- Continue to cook the oatmeal until it reaches a nice thick consistency. This will take about 12-15 mins.
- Once cooked remove from the heat and set aside for 1-2 minutes. This will allow the oatmeal to turn into a Porridge with a nice creamy consistency.
- Spoon the Porridge into a bowl, swirl in the honey and serve hot! On a cold morning.