I have been travelling quiet a bit recently, working and eating my way around the country. One of the foods that I love to search out when I’m away is really good real bread. For me it’s got to be handmade by a baker who knows their stuff and is able to make the best loaves using only; flour, water, salt and either a sourdough stater or a touch of yeast. Oh yes and it’s got to have a crust!
So here are my top loaves from recent travels. If you love bread like I do then I hope you too will seek out these loaves….
1) All about the wholegrain – Brainy bread: Natural Bread Company
This is my all time favourite loaf. With all the goodness of the wholegrain, the nutrients of which are said to make you brainy! The loaf has a perfect crust and I can just eat chunks of it smothered in butter.
2) Size matters! – Shepherds Loaf: Hobbs House Bakery, Miche Loaf: Natural Bread Company
OK so I am cheating here by having two loaves, two really big! Loaves but they are both so good! The Shepard loaf is a little softer than the Miche, which comes with a hefty crust! I prefer the Miche with just butter, as a crusty chunky of bread and the Shepherds for sandwiches.
3) Eat your crusts – Yorkshire Leaven Loaf: Handmade Bakery
The Handmade Bakery come up a great range of innovative loaves using ingredients like; apple, carrots and figs but if I’m perfectly honest it’s the bakeries classic leaven that I like best. Made with Yorkshire grown and milled flour it’s a great local loaf.
4) Toast heaven – Sunflower Rye: Metfield Bakery
This loaf comes to life with a zing of flavour when lightly toasted. Containing sunflower, poppy and fennel seeds, its fragrant, crunchy, moist and I love it toasted with a pot of afternoon tea.
5) Best Baguette – Sourdough baguette: Dozen Artisan Bakery
I was completely taken aback by this loaf. That the baker could make a slim baguette with a perfect crust and yet have such a moist middle. Buy fresh for lunch and serve with a big chunk of cheese.
Find the loaves here;
- The Natural Bread Company, Oxfordshire; http://naturalbreadcompany.co.uk/
- Hobbs House Bakery, Chipping Sodbury, Bristol; http://www.hobbshousebakery.co.uk
- Handmade Bakery, Slaithwaite; http://thehandmadebakery.coop/
- Metfield Bakery, East Anglia inc Norwich; http://www.metfieldbakery.com/index.php
- Dozen Bakery, Norwich; http://www.dozenbakery.co.uk/