Top Porridge Tip: Ratios, how to make perfect Porridge every time

Bain Marie Steam 4In this post I’m continuing the series of ‘Porridge Frequently Asked Questions’ with the issue that vexes most new Porridge makers; how much water or milk to add? To little and your Porridge will have the consistency of a dry flapjack and too much will end up in a bowl of soupy gruel. So here goes…

Question No. 2 Ratios

As a rule of thumb, to make perfect Porridge I always use a 2:1 ratio. That’s two parts fluid to one part oats. That can be two parts water, milk or milk substitute, to one part oats. I use this ratio for all oats; quick cook, jumbo or rolled oats. I even use the same for oatmeal.

My favourite ways for making Porridge are;

• Jumbo or quick cook oats: 1 part water, 1 part milk to one part oats.
  • Oatmeal: 2 parts water to one part oats, with a pinch of salt!

Porridge Mug sml (2)What do I mean by a ‘part’? To get my ratio right I use a cup, not just any cup but my red squirrel Porridge measuring cup! So…

• Jumbo or quick cook oats: 1 cup water, 1 cup milk to one cup oats
  • Oatmeal: 2 cups of water to one cup of oats, with a pinch of salt!

Using the same cup everyday also helps me to get my oat quantities right. On a normal day I have one cup full of oats, on a hungry day, especially after swimming, I go with a cup and one quarter.

Quick, easy and no need to weight I get my perfect Porridge everyday.

I hope this post has helped you if you are new to Porridge making.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Top Porridge Tip: Ratios, how to make perfect Porridge every time

1. I guess I like my porridge a bit thicker than you. I use 1 cup large flake rolled oats to 1 2/3 of water.

2. Anita mcgrory says:

Thank you so much for sharing your method of making porridge, it helped me tremendously I now make perfect porridge every time

3. Richard Seddon says:

Thank you.

Bought a packet of porridge oats almost 2 weeks ago, but couldn’t make any porridge due to the box being covered with every kind of waffle, but no instructions!

Having read your simple instructions, I remembered that the 2:1 cup method was what my mum used.

Great. Thanks so much.

4. Iain says:

Mmm for me perfect porridge is pretty much as you make it, but just milk,may be a bit thicker but when in the bowl add a knob of butter and loads of sugar. Occasionally I’ll ad a whisked raw egg in to it. Lovely!

5. Tony says:

That’s very straight forward. Thank you! (I like mine with crunchy demerara.)

6. Alex says:

Congrats for your web! Thanks jock question;
    When you talk about “cup of oats… what does that mean in grams? Or you mean it as a “colume@?
    Same with the liquid: I j detsrand one cup of any liquid is approx 250ml?
    Thanks!
    Alex

• Porridge Lady _ says:

Hi Alex I use a cup to measure my oats. I use it everyday so I have got to know exactly how much I like to use; normally 3/4 of a cup or on a hungry day, a whole cup. I then use twice the amount of fluid so…. 1 cup oats, 1 cup water, 1 cup milk for a big breakfast.

7. Ricardo Trimiloni says:

The only recipe for decent porridge is mine:
    Half mug of Scott’s old fashioned oats to one mug of water. Cook slowly with a handful of moist raisins. When ready ( about 5 mins ) add a small amount of skimmed milk and mix together. It makes a good bowl full and is of course delicious.