Last June I visited ‘Cereals: The Arable Event’ for the first time. The first thing that struck me about Cereals is its size. From the vast site to the giant farm machinery, Cereals is a BIG event! The biggest event in the arable farming calendar needs little introduction, however any newcomer to the agricultural trade show could do with a few small tips. So in this blog post I’m going to share 5 tips from my 2015 trip;
1) Make a plan of action: The site map is available on-line and my advice is to download it before the event. Then decide which stands you want to visit and make a list based on stand location, otherwise you will end up walking miles!
2) Pack a bundle of business cards: I obsessively carry business cards, just about every pocket of every; suit, bag and coat I own are stuffed with them. However by the end of Cereals even I had run out, so pack plenty.
3) Free lunch? In 2015 I managed to have a free; breakfast, lunch, hot drinks, cold drinks and water. Well it was a hot day and all that talking is thirsty work! All of the marquees and a lot of the smaller stands too, offer free refreshments to encourage you to visit them. If you keep your eyes peeled you will find a wealth of complementary refreshments available. One of the event sponsors even provides a complementary two course lunch!
4) Ladies and Gentlemen: After all that refreshment a you may need to use the facilities, however as I keep saying the site is huge with toilets generally located at ends of the site. So it’s worth checking your map before accepting yet another cup of coffee!
5) Check the weather forecast before you leave home: Sun cream and a sun hat or wellie boots and Barbour? 2015 was a scorching hot year and I really needed the sun hat that I had packed. But 2016 could be a wellie boot year so check that forecast before you pack.